Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Gym

Before I started working out at the gym, I thought of it as a place where all the jocks and the ultra cool people hung out. I thought that if I walked in they would laugh at me and I wouldn't fit in. I was so intimidated by the thought of bald men with tattoos and huge biceps cussing and grunting. I remember my mom telling her friends how she hated seeing guys with veins popping out of their arms and I related working out to big veins.

Well, I was mistaken. The first time I went to the gym, nobody laughed at me. Nobody even looked at me despite the fact that I was wearing Addidas from head to toe. I was even sporting an Addidas towel and socks....still no laughs. Even when at the age of 26 when I could barely bench press a couple of quarters (25 pound plates) and shaking the whole time....nobody laughed. In fact, nobody even cared.

It turned out that there was a lot of narcissism at the gym. Some of the gym rats were too busy looking at themselves in the mirror, others were sweating on the treadmill while watching Oprah, and others were just like me, trying to better ourselves and not really worried about the person next to us. Yet with all the self absorption, most people would be happy to show you how to use a machine or give you pointers on lifting properly.

The gym is a great place to exercise, lose weight and get in shape. Its a modern-day phenomenon our parents did not have access to. I believe everyone should have a gym membership and workout daily.

Of coarse there are some things to watch out for when you go to the gym. Number one is safety. I don't know how many times over the years I've seen people get their lockers or their cars broken into. Never ever bring valuables to the gym or leave them in the car. Number two would be if your not going to take a shower immediately after you workout there at the gym, be sure to wash your hands. The combination of moisture and heat is a breeding ground for bacteria. I remember once reading about a locker room that had to be disinfected because of flesh-eating bacteria. Number three: wear flip-flops in the shower. In my practice I've had people take off their shoes and socks and show me their plantar warts. When I asked them where they came from well, you guessed it, from the locker room at the gym. Flip flops will also protect you from some of the strange things that people do in the showers. Just use your imagination.

I think the thing that bothers me most about the gym is the some of the individuals from the generation before mine. I don't know where they learned this, but for some strange reason they think its okay to brush their teeth or walk around the locker room in their birthday suites! I think by the time you reach a certain age you really don't care what people think or you don't know what you're doing.

In summary, although I've painted a picture of a bacteria riddled environment filled with narcissistic geriatric naked people, the fact is this. If you take the right precautions and have the right additude, the gym is a great place to get in shape and to stay fit. I encourage you to call your local gym and schedule a tour. Find one that is right for you. If you have the money, I would suggest Equinox for its cleanliness, clientele and amenities. If your interested getting the maximum performance with your exercise routine, I would also suggest finding a good chiropractor. Most professional atheletes use chiropractors to help them perform at their very best. For more information about chiropractic and staying healthy, sign up for my free newsletter at www. UnitedPhysiciansHealthInstitute.com.

David M. Salse, D.C.

No comments: